Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:22:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        "Kelsey Womack" <kelseywomack@home.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Controller Recommendation

Kelsey Womack writes:
 > I have 3 IBM Ultrastar ES SCSI LVD/SE drives I'm putting into a new server,
 > however, I cannot find anyone that knows a thing about controllers.  The
 > model number for these drives is DNES-318350 E182115, they are 18 gig, 7200
 > rpm U2L drives according to yet another sticker on these drives.  I am
 > looking for some Adaptec card, but cannot find one that I am 100% will work,
 > could someone point me towards a card, and perhaps an online vendor that
 > isn't too expensive?  Thank you.

If you're not set on Adaptec, I having been running with several LVD
drives on a TekRAM-390U2W controller.  It works fine, and it's a lot
cheaper than Adaptec.  If you only have LVD drives, you could use the
TekRAM-390U2B, which only has one SCSI bus.  The 390U2W has two busses
so you can have the LVD on one bus and SE on the second, although I
believe there's only one SCSI master for the two busses.  I'm
presently only using the LVD bus on my 390U2W.

Check http://www.pricewatch.com or http://xshopper.cnet.com for
comparison price checks.