Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:29:25 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux (More Questions!)

David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org> types:
> Christopher Farley writes:
> > Ben (ben@cahostnet.com) wrote:
> > > Large hardware support
> > Because of its larger user base, Linux has better hardware support,
> > however FreeBSD's hardware support may be sufficient for your needs.
> larger != better

Also, more popular != better. Given the choice between making FreeBSD
more popular, and making it better, I'll take better - every time.

> > You specifically mentioned cd burners and sound cards. My experience
> > is this: on FreeBSD you will be better off with SCSI cd drives,
> > particularly if you want to do disk-at-once copying.
> Believe Soren has put everything in the FreeBSD kernel for such in the
> ATA driver. Only waiting on somebody to customize the popular utilties
> (such as cdrdao) to the interface.

I thought they were waiting for CAM support for the ATA
devices. That's how cdrecord & cdrdao work on Linux ATA devices, or
FreeBSD USB devices.

> > Linux upgrades usually require waiting for the latest release.
> > Between releases, you may need to upgrade specific binary files if there
> > is a security problem.
>
> Using the FreeBSD system there has been a time or two that I've needed
> to move something back a version.

Gee, I went through that with libgtk 1.2.9 vs. 1.2.8 and ApplixWare
Office just today. I found what I believe to be the problem, and hope
the port author will fix it before the port is udpated again.

	<mike