Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Evren Yurteen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best way to maintain user accounts

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Greg Lewis wrote:

> > what if we are an big ISP and have 60thousand accounts and heading to
> > 70thousand in next year or something? what happens when you pass 65534?
> > I mean is not nobody account the last account you can have there?
> >
> > Evren
>
> Well, /usr/include/sys/types.h lists a uid_t as u_int32_t, which would
> indicate that UIDs can go up to 4 billion, however the account adding
> utilities like pw and adduser barf at a uid of anything more than
> the maximum unsigned short (65535).  Maybe its that the uid range is
> intended to be extended but all the functionality hasn't been fully
> enabled?

	The system can handle the max, but there is a lot of legacy stuff
that's not part of the base system (like ports, other software, etc.) that
will choke on UID's > 65535. If you're competent in finding and fixing
these problems with software that doesn't come from freebsd, you're good
to go.

HTH,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"