Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:47:10 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Thomas Moyer <tommoyer@atlanticbb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home directory questions

Thomas Moyer <tommoyer@atlanticbb.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to setup a file server with FreeBSD and use that as a
> home partition and also share other files on a small network?
> What kinds of utilities would I need to run?  I imagine NFS for *nix
> clients and Samba for MS clients.  Also possibly share printers with
> this computer as well.  CUPS for that.

Um ... yes.  I assume you're just looking for verification that you're
selecting the correct technology, and you are.

> Also what kind a minimum system reccomendations does anyone have?

That's impossible to even guesstimate without some idea of what kind
of load the system is going to be under.  I have a fileserver here that
serves Windows and FreeBSD clients and it's a 200mhz with 96M of RAM.
But I would never suggest that for a big installation.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies