Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

Hi Greg Lehey;  On 08-Sep-97 you wrote:
>  Sure.  In fact, I'm astounded how much disk drives have improved in
>  the last 15 years.  In 1982, Tandem introduced a 540 MB CDC SMD disk
>  drive, the disk drive for gluttons.  It was a heap of shit.  It
>  weighed a ton, was a real pig to program (it went offline for over 30
>  seconds to perform its power on self test, and the system had to
>  decide whether it was meditating or dead), and it wasn't overly
>  reliable.  We pardoned it because of its high capacity.  It still had
>  the same transfer rates and positioning times that I mentioned above,
>  probably because of its 14" construction (the last of its kind.  After
>  that, we went to little 8" Fujitsus).  Try and find a new production
>  disk drive *anywhere* with only 540 MB, 30 ms positioning, 800 kB/sec
>  transfer rate nowadays.  By comparison, even the shittiest IDE drives
>  are a dream.

In terms of recording density, drives improved dramatically.  In terms of
performance, WHEN COMPARED TO CPU IMPROVEMENTS, they are falling behind at
about 50% per year.  This was my orignal point.  The details, although
amusing are secondary here (they make for a great chat along the line of
``I am older but less senile than you are...'' :-).

Waiting for 1GB RAM is also wrong.  It solves none of the static, inert
storage needs.

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 08-Sep-97, 14:22:04
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313