Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/23525: pgsql 7.0.3 port REMOVES data dir when trying to make  install on system with 7.0.2 installed

The following reply was made to PR ports/23525; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, tomaz.borstnar@over.net
Cc: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Subject: Re: ports/23525: pgsql 7.0.3 port REMOVES data dir when trying to make
 install on system with 7.0.2 installed
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:51:17 +0100

 --------------A0ADB30AE92EDC850C1BD246

 Sorry for the late comment, I just saw this PR by accident.

 I can't verify the described behaviour. When initdb runs, it
 fails if the file PG_VERSION exists in the data directory.
 There is nothing in the Makefile that removes the data
 directory nor its content. The only way to remove you data is
 to define PACKAGE_BUILDING when installing; this will remove
 all of $PREFIX/pgsql *before* even attempting to install
 anything.

 The port begins by screaming "Backup you data now" through a
 dialog(1) box:

 #
 # UPGRADE NOTE! Depending on which version you are upgrading
 from,
 # you may have to dump/restore existing databases
 # as part of the update.
 # This is *NOT* done by this port!
 # For detailed instructions, see
 # %%WRKDIR%%/%%DISTNAME%%/INSTALL
 # after extraction.
 #

 The INSTALL document says dump/restore is only necessary when
 moving to a different major revision (7.0.3 -> 7.1, for
 example). 7.0.2 -> 7.0.3 does not require a dump/restore. I
 just can't understand how upgrading using the port could remove
 your data dir. Can you please supply more details?

 Regards,
 Palle
 --------------A0ADB30AE92EDC850C1BD246

 begin:vcard
 n:Girgensohn;Palle
 tel;cell:+46 70 785 86 02
 tel;fax:+46 8 566 280 20
 tel;work:+46 8 566 280 02
 x-mozilla-html:FALSE
 url:http://www.partitur.se/
 org:Partitur
 adr:;;Wenner-Gren Center;Stockholm;Stockholm;SE-113 46;SE
 version:2.1
 email;internet:girgen@partitur.se
 x-mozilla-cpt:;-24704
 fn:Palle Girgensohn