Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:20:25 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: out of memory error...

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:50:28AM -0500, Daniel Frazier wrote:
>
>>hello all,
>>
>>The standard class for users on our shell server is defined like this in
>>/etc/login.conf...
>>
>>standard:\
>>        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
>>        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
>>        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K:\
>>        :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin:\
>>        :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/local/man:\
>>        :cputime=1h30m:\
>>        :datasize=24M:\
>>        :stacksize=2M:\
>>        :memorylocked=4M:\
>>        :memoryuse=10M:\
>>        :filesize=16M:\
>>        :coredumpsize=8M:\
>>        :openfiles=24:\
>>        :maxproc=32:\
>>        :priority=0:\
>>        :requirehome:\
>>        :umask=022:\
>>        :ignoretime@:\
>>        :tc=default:
>>
>>One of the users on this box has recently been complaining about
>>recieving an error when trying to use cpan.  This is what he provided
>>us to show the error...
>>

> Erm, you have low memory resource sizes, and then some user gets an
> out of memory error running some application..you do the math :)

yah, I got that much... :-P   I'm just trying to narrow it down to
which specific limit was being reached.  The most likely culprit is
the memoryuse setting but there are others that relate to memory
usage.  Are you saying that "Out of memory!" specifically points to
the memoryuse=10M being reached?

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.