Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 95 00:50 CST
From:      krnlhkr@mcs.com
To:        Jamie Wallace <jwallace@hartford.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-install@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installing troubles

<---- Begin Included Message ---->

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.0 on a TI4000 DX2/50 Notebook.  It has 8
megs of ram and a 200 meg hard drive.  I also have the docking station,
which has an Adaptec SCSI card, NEC 2X cdrom, Fujitsu 540MB HD (SCSI of
course).  I also have an Sound Blaster AWE32.  It might seem to many that
my problem is the docking station, however the same problem seems to
exist if I use the notebook undocked as well.

hmmmm ... I seem to have neglected to tell you my problem ...

ok I put in the first disk for cd installation and it cranks away and
finds everything, all my hardware that is .... :-) ... something linux only
wishes it could do ..... BUT then after stating it is going to switch the
size of the 'd' partition it just sits there.   It is not locked because
if I remove the disk it claims that it cannot mount the root partition
and reboots the machine.

once again I get this problem whether or not I am docked ....

please help !!!!!

<---- End Included Message ---->

Go into the BIOS and shut off ALL power saving stuff (especially the
drive power saving features).  UNIX doesn't like saving power ;)

Actually, what happens is that since there are no requests going
out the BIOS for a while, the computer shuts down the drive and
stuff and BSD does not know to turn them on.

There may be more to your problem, but I think this is a pretty
good guess.

Buy lots of extra batteries for your laptop ;)

-Louis

Louis J. Giliberto, Jr.    !  Support the Free Software Foundation
krnlhkr@mcs.com            !