Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:34:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@complx.LF.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP or packet Accounting Software for burst connections.

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!

> > > My bean-count-list is roughly 3000 records large. Will ipfw scale to
> > > that number of rules ? For 2-3 times 34mbit/sec ?
>
> > > Did it do that in 1996, when I first did this modification ?
>
> > ipfw will not count bytes, just packets
> > as for performance.
>
> I see. Bascially, we need it to count bytes.
>
> Ah, there is another way of doing it: www.ipmeter.com.
>
> > you can branch using skipto
> > so that you split your search list in binary manner and thus do 4096
> > different addresses while only actually running 13 rules. You'd have to
> > have a program to generate the ipfw ruleset.
>
> It's not addresses, it's different networks. Some are /27, some /29, some
> /24, etc.

Please take a look at NeTraMet. It's very sophisticated and reliable tool,
written exactly for this purpose. Exact URL escapes me, but you can start
at www.caida.org.You can also search by author: Nevil Brownlee.

I was using this software for a couple of years, and it's stable and
mature. You can configure the detail level and type of traffic by almost
any rule - it has its own programming language to construct procedures
that match and count packets/bytes. There are additional tools available
that help processing the logs. Using FreeBSD on a Pentium 133MHz I was abl
to properly count ca. 3500 packets/s, for a couple hundred different
subnets.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------