Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:28:39 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freebsdfoundation.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, brian@collab.net, calvin.austin@sun.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

>> release any SASL based work back to the FreeBSD Java effort.  We could have
>> easily switched to using Sun partner only sources and completed this all
>> in a back room, and considering your reaction that might have been
>
> You failed to understand how this project works. It's always been
> open...let me clarify...

I think you misunderstand how business works.  We could be open (as
open as SASL allows) or closed in our efforts regardless of the
methodology used to create the freely available work that the Foundation
is using as the basis for its binary releases.  That is how the Sun
licensing of Java technology works.  Its also how BSD works.

>> much, much easier.  Instead we decided to share this funded work with
>> the community so that it could be incorperated into other ports for
>> other platforms.  That's the whole story.  No conspiracies.  No politics.
>
> What you don't understand is that your group was manipulate some how,
> consciously or unconsciously by folks in our group, FreeBSD Java, without
> your group asking or knowing the context of events and my involvement with
> the FreeBSD Java group. That's possibly a new situation to deal with for
> the Foundation, but it should have been researched and political roles
> should have been clarified before any financial commitment.

You are trying to turn this into a power play.  I'm sure the FreeBSD
Java group can handle its own politics.  The Foundation has no role
to play there and has no interest in it.  I'm sorry you believe that
our simplistic goal is causing such strife for you and/or the FreeBSD
Java project.  That was not our intent and is not our fault.

> Since Dec 2001, I was pretty much the only heavy technical lead in the
> project. Alexey wouldn't have even been able to do this if I didn't, on my
> own time and money, the insane work that HotSpot required to complete and
> idealistic goal of getting a world class J2SE port to FreeBSD. I should at
> least be credited with that. This compiler is a prerequist for all work in
> J2SE 1.4.1

And I'm sure the community is grateful for all of your hard work.  Regardless,
that does not make you any more or less competent than Alexey or a great
many others in the community that understand this technology.  Saying
otherwise is a slight on people you don't even know and a condemnation
of a selection process that you know nothing about.  As has been mentioned
several times in this thread, the Foundation is ready to be judged by the
outcome of its initiatives, whether they revolve around Java or other areas
of interest to the FreeBSD community.

> This project has always been open to all and was largely driven by a pure
> volunteer effort, but because of how Nate (I'm just finding out) and other
> folks function recently, your group, IMO, was exploited in what seems like
> a sneeky political move to pad a certain kind of political position that
> never was his to begin with...
>
> That's was just assumed because of his attitude and false confidence about
> the matter, but he's not the official leader of this group, in fact, nobody
> is. The failure here is that the Foundation didn't recognize this and
> clarified his, mine, others... involvement in this group.

The group dynamics of the FreeBSD Java project are completely outside
the Foundation's charter.  Please launder your own dirty laundry.

> That's the tragedy here. Do you understand what's going on ?

No, but I'm guessing it involves black helicopters.  If you look at
the Foundation's financial data, you'll see we can't afford black
helicopters, so they aren't ours.  8-)

--
Justin