Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:09:32 +0200
From:      "Kristof Provost" <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        araujo@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Ian Lepore" <ian@freebsd.org>, "Konstantin Belousov" <kostikbel@gmail.com>, "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "Li-Wen Hsu" <lwhsu@freebsd.org>, fcp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

On 29 Aug 2019, at 17:01, Marcelo Araujo wrote:
> Em qui, 29 de ago de 2019 =C3=A0s 22:54, Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.or=
g>
> escreveu:
>
>> On 29 Aug 2019, at 16:42, Ian Lepore wrote:
>>> (And I don't think breaking a test counts as
>>> breaking the build.)
>>>
>> I fundamentally disagree on this point. A test failure is, just like =

>> compiler warning, a precious gift that should not be ignored.
>> The more distance (both in terms of time, and in terms of the people
>> involved) there is between a bug being introduced and it being =

>> detected
>> the harder it is to fix it. Test accelerate detection of bugs. If we =

>> do
>> not take test failures seriously (i.e. as an indication something is
>> wrong and should be fixed) the tests will inevitable become useless =

>> in
>> one of two ways: we=E2=80=99ll either disable failing tests (which is =
what =

>> we
>> tend to do now) reducing test coverage or we=E2=80=99ll have a test su=
ite =

>> with
>> many failures in it, which makes it useless as well. (As with =

>> compiler
>> warnings, the best way to keep them under control is to consider them =

>> be fatal errors.)
>>

> Could you elaborate where is the "fundamentally" you disagree? Where =

> is the
> fundament? You guys are introducing something new, yes everybody knows
> about test, it is year 2019, but nobody can come with new rules tha in
> hours we gonna revert if you "dare to don't fix it". Sorry, this is =

> not how
> people test software and fix it.

I do think that breaking a test breaks the build. Something used to work =

and now it doesn=E2=80=99t. That=E2=80=99s breakage, even if it=E2=80=99s=
 not as total as =

it not compiling any more.

>> In either scenario we end up reducing test coverage, which means =

>> we=E2=80=99re
>> going to push more bugs towards users.
>>
>>> I totally agree.  This is an overly-bureaucratic solution in search =

>>> of
>>> a problem.
>>>
>>> If this needs to be addressed at all (and I'm not sure it does), =

>>> then
>>> another sentence or two in bullet item 10 in section 18.1 [*] of the
>>> committer's guide should be enough.  And even then it needn't be
>>> overly-formal and should just mention that if a commit does break =

>>> the
>>> build the committer is expected to be responsive to that problem and
>>> the commit might get reverted if they're unresponsive.  I don't =

>>> think
>>> we need schedules.
>>>
>> I do feel that=E2=80=99s a better argument. We=E2=80=99ve always had a=
 policy of
>> reverting on request (AIUI), so this is more or less trying to be a
>> strong restatement of that, more than a fundamental shift in policy.
>>

> We don't have a policy to revert commit, actually revert commit is
> something bad, it is kind of punishment, I have been there, nobody =

> wants to
> be there. Stop to push this non-sense argument.

That=E2=80=99s how I=E2=80=99ve interpreted =E2=80=9911. Developer Relati=
ons=E2=80=99 in
in =

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/art=
icle.html#conventions =

  (Specifically, =E2=80=9C If a commit does results in controversy erupti=
ng, =

it may be advisable to consider backing the change out again until the =

matter is settled.=E2=80=9D)

I understand that it=E2=80=99s not fun to see changes reverted, and it=E2=
=80=99s =

certainly not the intention to make that the preferred solution. =

That=E2=80=99s why the FCP discusses adds waiting periods and discussion =
with =

the committer.

Best regards,
Kristof