Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 1997 19:19:24 -0800
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mailbot wars

At 09:50 PM 2/2/97 -0500, Cliff Addy wrote:
>I was fiddling with creating a mail autoresponder and can't see how to solve
>a problem.  I was using the .forward mechanism to pipe email into a perl
>script and autorespond to the sender.  It works fine, but what happens if I
>receive email from a person running an autoresponder themselves?  Then my
>mailbot emails a confirmation to them, their mailbot responds to me, mine to
>theirs, and all hell breaks loose.

:-)

1:  Don't ever respond when the "Precedence: Bulk" header exists :-)

2:  IT would be good to keep a history of recent people who mailed you,
and not double-respond.  Ie, keep an 8k or 16k or whatever-K cache of email
addresses.  If the address already exists, don't send to them again.  Make
sure your initial autoresponse states that fact.  An example of this via
procmail, is in the procmailex man page.

>Any and all suggestions appreciated.  Well, maybe not *all* suggestions :)

Be sure to put in a twit file ability :-)

Jason Fesler
owner of the now-dead  "infobot@infomania.com" autoresponder/service agent