Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:46:34 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
To:        Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an FXTV suggestion

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 04:45:31PM -0800, Tim Pozar wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 02:08:02AM +0300, Alexei Khalimov wrote:
> > Randall Hopper wrote:
> >
> > > What you want is a batch capture tool.  What Fxtv is is an interactive GUI
> > > application.  These should be a separate apps.
> > >
> > > [[ I've seen this discussion before, with other tools.  First is the
> > > request for batch capabilities, then the complaint from someone else that
> > > doesn't even run X that they have to have X installed (allocate disk space
> > > for it, download the packages, etc.), not just to compile their batch app,
> > > but to run it.  The complaint is certainly justified.  ]]
> >
> > Well, I would be happy with something like
> > fxtv -batchsave /tmp/webcam.ppm -period 60
> > which will save single frame to that file every 60sec
> > or save one and exit when called without -period
> > (all this without starting GUI)
> >
> > it should not be hard to code it...
>
> I did this way back when (~'93) with Sun's VideoPix video frame
> grabber device (/dev/vfc0).  Cron would launch the program every
> minute and the code would then opened the device, set the format
> (size, video format, color, etc), grab a frame and spit out a YUV
> image.  At that point I would run PBM to clean it up and spit out
> a (then) GIF image.
>
> Is there something like a frame grabber device for the 848 cards
> that could be managed in much the same manner?

Hi all.

I've been following this thread and wondering what's wrong with
'grab.c', which seems to support both the meteor and BT cards?

	flags
	  -f ntsc|pal		video format
	  -s [0,1,2,3]		video source, 0,1,2 or 3
				Video In is usually source 0
				Tuner is usually source 1
	  -d <device name>	grabber device eg /dev/metor
				or /dev/bktr0 or /dev/bktr1

I'm pretty sure I just got it from Roger's FTP site:

	ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/examples/

There's even a 'videocapture.c' written by one Amancio Hasty in
there under the 'webcam' directory that appears to take periodic
snapshots in JPEG format... :=)

Actually, it seems that me that running 'grab' at regular intervals
out of cron and cleaning it up or doing whatever conversion via
ImageMagick should do it just fine.

Cheers,

AS