Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:54:43 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Needed: Requirement for JDK1.2.2 release

Rather than stating all the things that won't help the process along,
let me mention somethign that will help the process.

If *someone* has access to a 'robust' copy of Motif 1.2 source that
builds under FreeBSD (note, the stock code blows chunks all over, so
that won't work), *AND* they are willing to provide me a libXm.a that is
compiled -fpic (*not* libXm.so) for FreeBSD 3.X/ELF, then we could have
a FreeBSD JDK1.2 for ELF.  FreeBSD 2.2 will take a bit more work.

I have a number of Motif licenses, and can provide them to the person to
verify that I can legally use the library if the provider is concerned.

With a copy of said library in place, I can legally link in the Motif
library into one of the JDK shared libraries, and with some linker
hackers, make sure that this library is 'legal' to distribute.

This would allow me to use Motif (legally), and would hopefully overcome
the technical problems I've had in trying to make a working JDK1.2.2.

Nate