Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:43:27 -0600
From:      John Giacomoni <John.Giacomoni@colorado.edu>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        LI Xin <delphij@delphij.net>
Subject:   Re: How to map a page with userland program?

--Apple-Mail-3--357219016
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Sep 15, 2006, at 8:35 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Friday 15 September 2006 10:26, LI Xin wrote:
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> Is there a continent and MI way to map a kernel page into userland
>> address space under the same virtual address?  It seems that this
>> can be
>> implemented through some routines in MD part of pmap, but is it
>> possible
>> to use higher level VM routines to do the job?
>
> Not to the same userland virtual address.  Why do you need the same
> virtual address anyway?  If it's for pointers use offsets relative to
> the start of the page instead.

For what it is worth, I also have need of the same functionality.

Specifically I'd like for the region's address space to be at the
same offset for the kernel and multiple user-space applications.

I'm passing messages around in shared memory and would prefer to
eliminate the
offset calculations for performance reasons.

John G

--

John.Giacomoni@colorado.edu
University of Colorado at Boulder