Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:28:54 +0000
From:      Robert bobb Crosbie <bobb+freebsd-stable@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   More than 256 pty's

Hey,
I'm currently running into difficulties on a multiuser system,
(4.2-STABLE) we have 256 pty's (for some reason we still have
pseudo-device pty 256, in the kernel conf...), and we are running out.

Last year we ran into the same problem (February seems to be a busy
month) and I believe that we followed the instructions in
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=8198069+8200098+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990607.freebsd-questions

<quote>
You can have more than 256 ptys; the problem is what to name them.  You
can easily get 384 ptys by extending the current scheme slightly (using
/dev/tty[tuTU]*; /dev/ttyv* is syscons so we hit our limit with this
naming scheme).  Edit /dev/MAKEDEV and /usr/src/lib/libutil/pty.c
</quote>

However, I can't remember what we did (if we did at all) to MAKEDEV to
overcome the 256 minor number limit.

Can anyone help us out ?

What is the possibility of creating more than 256 pty/tty devices ?

If not, are there any plans to overcome this hard limit in the future ?

Cheers,
- bobb

--
   Oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things
      that once were needful for the wise to know.