Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:47:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        tony@saign.com
Cc:        bat@lists.dachb0den.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows?

In message: <3D152521.1080500@saign.com>
            Tony Saign <tony@saign.com> writes:
: Running FreeBSD 4.6 -stable on an IBM T20
: GPS Garmin eTrex set to NMEA @ 4800
: GpsDrive 1.22 from ports (very cool program)
: Dstumbler doesn't have any problems reading the GPS
:
: Console flooded while GpsDrive is running with line after line;
:
: /kernel: si0 424 more tty-level buffer overflows (total 155242)
: /kernel: si0 111 more tty-level buffer overflows (total 155353)
:
: Anyone seen this behaviour before? Do I have to reconfigure my com port??

tty-level buffer overflows are not caused by problems in the sio
driver (this are fifo overflows).  Instead, they are caused by a
program having the tty open, characters flowig in, but the program
doesn't read the data fast enough to empty the kernel ("tty") buffers,
so the driver has no choice but to drop the characters on the floor.

Warner