Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:36:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: easyboot far into disk

> on a 13gb win98 system, i wanted a bit of bsd.  so i installed win98 in 10gb
> and freebsd in the last 3gb, and choose easyboot.  at boot, when i select f2
> pertition, i get a beep.  is it the >1024 cyl thingie?  wazza fix?  it is
> already lba.

"Chose easyboot"?  Here's the best fix:

 - Boot the install floppy.  When the little spinning widget appears
   and stops, hit the spacebar.  At the 'boot:" prompt, type

     wd(0,a)/boot/loader

   This should get the loader off the disk OK, and boot you fine.

 - Once you're up and running, read the manpage for boot0inst.  You
   want to install boot0 on wd0, and enable the 'packet' option.  This
   should get you going.

All of the FreeBSD boot path apart from boot0 seems to work just fine >
1024 cylinders.  I haven't personally tested over the 8GB mark though.