Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:32:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

> >> I too have around 6-7 of these controllers, some work - some don't
> >> work... I was talking to a guy a while ago with a view of
> >> publishing our findings...  Basically 'some cards don't work with
> >> some boards', I beleive theres timing problems (or similar) with
> >> some cards, and some motherboards...
> >
> >     Has anyone tried a different brand contoller under this
> >     circumstance ?
> >
> >     Would it even matter ? Does FreeBSD use the same SCSI controller
> >     "guts" for all PCI SCSI cards ?
>
> No.
>
> > I am looking at Buslogic BT-956C (F/W) and BT-948 (Ultra Narrow),
> > but of courese I cannot find any documentaion (as of 2.2.6) that the
> > BT-948 is supported. Is anyone using it ??
>
> I'm not.  The BT-948 is supported in 3.1-STABLE, but not in 2.2.8.
> You can find this information in /usr/src/release/texts/RELNOTES.TXT.
>
> > I'm curious enough to find a solution bad enough to risk getting
> > burned (again), and try the Buslogic card.
>
> As I said before, I think you are looking in the wrong place.  You
> will probably fail.

     Sorry to disappoint you Greg, but the Buslogic BT-948 works in the
exact same machine that the 2940U's wouldn't..

     Can someone put that in the FAQ/Handbook/other for the next poor soul
to come across this problem?

     Finally after 2 years I get a solution. Hopefully others too.

     BTW, Insight has 122 of the BT-948's (Ultra Narrow) at approx 124.95,
and no BT-958's (Ultra Wide), for those interested. Not everyone had them.

     Roger