Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:33:07 -0800
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Planning

I am researching methods of improving network  reliability, taking into
account my current network and all its dependencies.

I am pretty certain that I can accomplish this by dedicating a private
network to NFS, then having multiple redundant servers for our several
services (smtp, http, etc.).  This, however comes at a performance
cost.... even on our 100BT net, NFS is just not performing fast enough.

I would think that Gigabit would be the answer... having a gigabit "back
plane" for NFS traffic and letting 100 baseT handle the rest.

Considering that I have a mix of FreeBSD-3.3 and FreeBSD-4.x machines, I
need to pick your collective brains about good, compatible hardware,
experiences with Gigabit switches, or any other ideas you may have on
this.

Peace,
Blake