Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:03:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ianh@geocities.com (Ian Howson)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A bunch of questions on FreeBSD

Hi,
I am currently working on getting FreeBSD installed and would appreciate it
very much if you could answer some of my questions.

1. In the FAQs somewhere it mentions that FreeBSD will work with the OnTrack
disk manager. Since I am a user of that I assumed it would be OK for me to
just choose the BootEasy option when installing a boot manager. I did and it
ended up erasing my driver software, making it impossible for me to access
my D: drive (2GB) which contained everything but Windows 95. Why is it that
FreeBSD stuffed up my driver software despite it saying it was OK in the
FAQ? (BTW I got all my data back)

2. Later I went back and tried to install again. This time I chose 'None'
for the boot manager option. I restarted my computer and was again slightly
alarmed when I got the FreeBSD boot menu instead of 'Starting Windows '95'.
I went into FDisk and reset the active partition to what it was before. Is
there any better way of doing this (since I can't use BootEasy) Can I boot
from a disk and have it automatically go into FreeBSD?

3. In both of the attempts before, it stopped installing when it got to
'Chunk 29 of 74' (about 40%) I thought I hadn't allocated enough to the /
directory (I'd only given it 20M since I was running low on space) so I went
and changed it to 50M. Same problem. Is there a problem with the BIN file
and if so, is there an easy way to check if they downloaded OK?

4. What's the deal with this 2*MEM size for the swap file system? The way I
interpret that it means you need a swapfile double the size of how much
physical RAM you have. Shouldn't it be that the more RAM you have (I have
16M) the less swap space you need? Please explain.

5. The distribution options (like User, X-User, Developer, etc) are REALLY
confusing! Can I simply assume all options are covered in the 70 BIN files
you download, or do I need to get more files to use things like the ports
collection?

6. How do I resize my primary partition on a disk? I did it once but it's
too big and I can't figure out how to do it again.

Thanks for your time.

Ian Howson
ianh@geocities.com