Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 10:48:52 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        root@jd-unix.wpafb.af.mil (Jeffrey D. Dean ROOT)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Sony CDROMS HELP!!

Jeffrey D. Dean ROOT stands accused of saying:

> 	I have four Sony cdroms on a single SONY CDROM card (proprietary)
> I can't figure out what to change in the kernel config file to tell it
> that I indeed have four drives. It will automatically create scd0a
> but I cannot figure out what must be done to create the other 3 device nodes.

You need to do two things :

# cd /dev
# ./MAKDEV scd1 scd2 scd3

The second is that you need to fix the scd driver to deal with more than
one drive.  It mostly knows how to, but not properly :

/* State machine copied from mcd.c */

/* This (and the code in mcd.c) will not work with more than one drive */
/* because there is only one mbxsave below. Should fix that some day. */
/* (mbxsave & state should probably be included in the scd_data struct and */
/*  the unit number used as first argument to scd_doread().) /Micke */

Send some mail to micke@dynas.se if you want to talk about this with him.

> I have asked this mailgroup several times in the last month and have only
> gotten one response. It wasn't the answer unfortunately.

I must admit I'd have thought you'd have at least _looked_ at the source 8(

> -           Jeffrey D. Dean SrA              -

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[