Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:17:02 -0500
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certification

"Bruce DeVault" <internal@intechsoft.net> wrote,

>    Is there anyone offering a certification exam in  FreeBSD knowledge,

From what I've seen - and I'm about as far from 'guru' as one can get
without being an executive - FreeBSD is BSD is unix. All the generic unix
books are 98% germane to FreeBSD.

IMHO, a generic "unix" certification would be more useful than a
FreeBSD-specific one. As an employee, I think I'd be more marketable that
way. On the other side, any manager has certainly heard of "unix," but may
not know about FreeBSD.

<anectode>
I just quit a job where the Big Boss was obsessed with certifications
because he was not competent to judge a person's qualifications for himself.

True Story number 1 -
  Big Boss: "What do you do for fun?"
  Me: "Well, I've been playing around with this FreeBSD unix thing."
  BB: "Unix, eh? Would you be interested in pursuing an MCSE Certification?"

True Story number 2 -
  Me (chatting with a customer): "So, you're looking for MCSEs?"
  Customer: "Hmph! An MCSE doesn't mean shit."
</anecdote>

--
Chris Hill                   chris@monochrome.org
[place witty saying here]