Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 06:58:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM messed: vm_page_free panic problem

> >     I'm experiencing a problem with the freebsd-current bootdisks since
> > a weeks ago. I get the error:
> >     vm_page_free: pindex(12), busy(0), PG_BUSY(0), hold(0)
> >     panic: vm_page_free: freeing page
>
> I get the same problem from recent bootdisk taken from current.freebsd.org
> too. Gets frustrating when you try to find a working boot disk. I finally
> dug out an old 2.2.1 CD.

Since John is snowed in...

Is this "freeing free page" or "freeing busy page"?

Are you using CCD?

Are you mounting async?

Are you trying to use union mounts, or any other FS other than FFS,
such as NFS, MSDOSFS, etc.?

Have you compiled your kernel -g, then copied it, "strip -d"'ed the
copy, and run on the stripped copy until you got a panic, so you could
do a source level debug of the kernel code in question?

Have you traversed the scheduler queues in the kernel debugger to see
if the problem is really a process on two queues?

Is vm_page_freechk_and_unqueue() (since it's probably "freeing ???? page")
being called from vm_page_free() or vm_page_free_zero()?

When you look at the vm_object structure for the object that's failing,
is the "type" member OBJT_DEFAULT, OBJT_SWAP, OBJT_VNODE, OBJT_DEVICE, or
OBJT_DEAD?  If OBJT_VNODE, is the backing_object member cast to a vnode
a device vnode, a directory, a file, or VNONE, or what?

I'd ask for the -g kernel and dump image, but they are far in excess
of my account quota; unless you can put them up for FTP somewhere, and
I can pull them down on a faster-than-modem link, you're going to need
to go looking for yourself.  Do *NOT* mail them to me!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.