Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:31:36 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBsd (reposted)

On Monday, 27 November 2000 at 22:22:52 -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
>> BSD became the basis for certain versions of UNIX, most notably
>> Sunos..aka these days Solaris, and Ultrix (DEC Unix of it's day,
>> the most awful Unix system ever let loose).
>
> Sun wins the award for the most confusing naming, hands down.

I don't know what's so confusing about that.  SunOS up to 4 was based
on BSD.  SunOS from 5 onward was based on System V.  Solaris is a name
they introduced towards the end of the life of SunOS 4 to represent
the "complete operating system".

> The *windowing* system that is bundled with SunOS is called Solaris.

I recall it being called openview.

>> Most others got based loosely or otherwise on licensed code
>> from AT&T, and there was always obeissance to the Regents of
>> the University of California" in the copyright notices.
>> This is the basis for HP-UX, Dynix/PTX, SCO etc etc...
>
> Yup - everybody but AT&T ships some mixture of AT&T and BSD. And even
> AT&T uses BSD code.

AT&T doesn't ship at all any more.  SCO has the code base, such as it
is.

>> Oh I forgot to mention AIX, IBM's Unix. There I've mentioned it.
>
> "It'll remind you of Unix."

It reminded me of MVS.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.