Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:08:38 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Chris Sagar <CSagar@exchange.iterated.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-fs@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help with ccd (again)

>First, the array configuration does not survive being booted. I have the
>array being mounted in fstab as /disk1. When the system reboots, it
>barks about the ccd not being configured. I can not do a ccdconfig, then
>newfs, then fsck each time I need to reboot the server. What am I
>missing here? What preserves the configuration information of the ccd
>array? If I manually do ccdconfig/newfs/fsck/mount on the drive, it is
>there and usable. But after reboot it is gone.

You need to define the ccd array in /etc/ccd.conf if you want the system
to automatically reinstate the array with each boot.  Read the ccdconfig
man page for details on how to do this.

As with all file systems, you only need to newfs them once (assuming you
don't have a catastrophic failure that requires the file system to be
re-initialized).  ccdconfig simply creates a striped/mirrored device out of
sub devices.  Once that device is available, you treat it like any other
non-ccd device.  Think of it as a puzzle made out of component drives.
You use ccdconfig to assemble the puzzle.  If you write a pattern on the
assembled puzzle, the pattern will survive if you pull the pieces apart
(reboot), and then reassemble them (ccdconfig).

>Second, I need to get the second Adaptec controller setup. THe cards are
>seen during bootup (ahc0 and ahc1). They have different IRQ and
>addresses. I have run SCSI-Select and this also finds both cards. I am
>assuming (I know, I know) that the OS is happy, but my question regards
>the fully qualified device name for the disks. As each disk array will
>the same scsi ID numbering scheme (scsi id 1,2,3,4,11,12,13,and 14 in
>each array) where/how do you define in the fully qualified device name
>the scsi bus that the disk in on? I have not yet connected any disks to
>the second controller.

Unless you hardwire the devices to specific unit numbers, the system will
increment the unit number by one for each "sd" device found.  The target
id of the device will not matter in an "unwired" configuration other than
the fact that devices are found by scanning from lowest to highest target
id and will be attached by the system in this order.  To find out
information about "hardwiring" particular devices to explicit unit numbers
read the scsi(4) man page.

To specify the devices to ccdconfig, you use their unit number/slice
number/ BSD partition number:

/dev/sd14s1a

Ensure that you create device nodes for the devices that you will use
via the /dev/MAKEDEV script:

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV sd14s1a

--