Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:31:31 -0400
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        jbaxter@mmcable.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop trouble

PCCARD support is fully integrated in to 4.x, so there's no need for a
port.
Did you try to install the PAO port over 4.x?  If so, that might be
causing your trouble.

Otherwise, do you have customized pccard.conf or startup scripts?  I'd
first try renaming any of those out of the way and see how things work
with a "vanilla" 4.x setup; if it still fails, post back to the list.

If it still can't get an IRQ you probably need to ad an IRQ line to
pccard.conf.  I did this sort of thing to my pccard.conf, by doing
"dmesg | grep IRQ" and by noting some mail from Warner Losh about
reserved IRQs:

# IRQs that can't be used:  1, 2, (6), 8, 13 - reserved

# IRQ list for this system:
#   1 - atkbd0 (keyboard)
#   2 - reserved
#   3 - sio1  (I don't have one, do I?)
#   4 - sio0
#   5 - uhci0 (USB) & Maestro (sound)
#   6 - fdc0 (floppy)
#   7 - ppc0 (parallel port)
#   8 - reserved, per Warner Losh
#   9 -
#  10 -
#  11 - pci
#  12 - mouse
#  13 - reserved, per Warner Losh
#  14 - ata0
#  15 - ata1
#  16?

irq 9 10 16

I suggest putting together your own list like this.

But FIRST try just getting rid of any customization you've done; in
general, things should work "pretty" well out of the box for 4.x.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org