Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:37:04 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gbaratto@superb.net>
Subject:   Re: new benchmarks. WAS: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

On Friday,  2 December 2005 at 13:23:50 +1100, Michael Vince wrote:
> It would be good to actually see the Linux performance on the exact same
> hardware, all we ever see is how it is on FreeBSD.
>
> MySQL has very frequent use of queries of the system time and is
> well known in FreeBSD to be slower because its more expensive to
> call compared to Linux, which has less precision time.

I've heard this claim again and again, and I intend to look at it when
I have time.  I find it difficult to believe that this alone could
explain the sometimes horrendous performance differences (3 to 1) that
have been reported.

Can somebody tell me:

1.  How many calls there are per second?
2.  Where they're coming from?  This would involve profiling, of
    course.

Greg

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--