Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2018 05:14:52 +0200
From:      Vincenzo Maffione <v.maffione@gmail.com>
To:        Ramandeep Sandhu <rsandhu@interrasystems.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using netmap on Windows

Hi,
  Unfortunately the support for Windows is still very experimental, and the
developer that did it (a couple years ago) is not working on that anymore.

Also, in that first prototype there was no support for "native" drivers,
i.e. patched drivers for Intel or other NICs. Only VALE, netmap pipes and
monitors were fully functional.
For NIC access, emulated netmap was used.

I think the prototype was developed for Windows 8.1.
All the information we have are in this README.md file
https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap/blob/master/WINDOWS/README.txt

> Hello /netmap /Experts,
>
> I am new to using /netmap /and want to use it for capturing IP(UDP/RTP)
> packets @ 10 Gbps lin-rate on Windows. I saw that /netmap /has been
> recently supported on Windows. Answers to following queries will be of
> great help for me to get started:
>
> 1. Which Windows OS is supported ?

I think Win7/8/8.1

2. Is there a list of cards that support netmap ? I have access to
>    Intel X520-DA2, X540-T2 and Mellanox ConnectX-4 series. Will these
>    work with netmap ?

None, just emulated netmap.

> 3. Is there any sample code available for Windows ?

The API is the same as FreeBSD/Linux. So any application is good:
https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap/tree/master/apps

Another thing you may do is to look for Windows-related issues (
https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap/issues).
There are other Github users that tried to revive this piece of code and
may help you.

Cheers,
  Vincenzo