Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:47:19 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: oddities with. 2.2.5-R on Toshiba Satellite 105CS

> Mike Smith writes:
>  > > 1.  My Toshiba Fn-keys don't work.  For example, I normally use Fn-F2 to
>  > This isn't FreeBSD's fault.  Those key combnations are handled by the
>  > SMI interrupt handler in the BIOS.  For whatever it's worth, they work
>  > just fine on most other Toshiba machines (eg. this here 220CDS).
>
> Hmm.  Most others?  I'm not sure.  I have all the same problems
> described by Donald on my Portege 650.

Yes.  eg. Satellite, Tecra, Libretto, etc.  If you boot plain DOS, do
the keys work, or do they only work under Windows?

>  > > 3.  I tried using the "green" screen saver, and the DPMS (Energy Star)
>  > > support in XFree86.  It does not work -- the screen blanks (i.e. it turns
>  > > black), but the power to the LCD remains on.  Yes, my LCD display is
>  > > Energy Star compliant.
>
> Are you sure that this is so bad?  This is just what I do on my
> Toshiba, and although the screen power is still on, I get the
> impression that it is not sucking much juice.  (If I run in console
> mode instead of X, the battery lasts for hours and hours, so this
> would also confirm my suspicion that turning black is saving power.)

Turning the screen off saves power, but turning the backlight off saves
more.  FWIW, most systems will kill the backlight when you close the
lid, which is what I do.   (I haven't seen a system yet where the DPMS
controls correctly kill the backlight, although they may exist.)