Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 96 16:48:00 PDT
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FW: FreeBSD 2.0.5

Charles,
     The 2.1 CD that I just bought does support my EIDE CDROM drive. I can't
make a blanket statement, because I think there are some models of EIDE
CDROM that are not supported. (Some drive makers don't release the required
info, or are just too obscure to be supported.)
     Personally, I'd see about returning the 2.0.5 disc, and buy the 2.1
from W.C. (Or wait for 2.1.5) I have the 2.0.5 disc, and love it, but for
ease of install using EIDE CDROM drives, 2.1 is better.
     There is also the issue, does 2.0.5 support EIDE CDROM at all?  (I use
an old 1X mitsumi on 2.0.5, and it works great, but slow.)

     You may be able to use the boot floppy you mention, and then compile in
support for your CDROM drive, but generally it seems easlier to move on with
the flow of the group.

                              Hope that helps, [RC]