Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:11:16 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: recent bsd.lib.mk changes

On Friday 21 June 2002 06:02 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
= On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 05:46:17PM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

= > Why can't we have some way to explicitly list what is and what is not
= > needed?
=
= Feel free to send a patch adding "ONLYSHAREDLIBS".  "INTERNALLIB" in no
= logical way I can think of would lead someone to think that only shared
= libs should be built and they should be installed.

Here I agree completely. I have always been puzzled by the naming of this
knob. But it was the only way to achieve the goal. It is now a different
knob entirely -- but under the same name, which is quite confusing.

I am thinking, however, of something explicit like:

	WANT_SHARED_LIB	?=	yes
	WANT_STATIC_LIB ?=	yes
	WANT_PIC_LIB	?=	yes

with the existing NOPROFILE and others to remain as "compatibility"
interfaces for a while, for example:

	.ifndef WANT_PIC_LIB
	.ifndef NOPROFILE
	WANT_PIC_LIB	 =	yes
	.else
	WANT_PIC_LIB	 =	no
	.endif
	.endif

The last change broke not only some ports, but who knows how many
personal projects, which where doing the Right Thing (IMO) and used
the bsd.*.mk

I will not have time to make a patch in a while :-\, however...

Any way to determine quickly from inside the Makefile, which version
of the bsd.lib.mk is installed?

	-mi