Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 23:51:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEW FEATURE.. RFC will commit unless....

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > As Adam David wrote:
> >
> > > Not only unlinking, but on any shrinking truncate.
> >
> > Appendonly files are already there.
>
> He wants to purge (pattern wipe using DOD hysterisis effective
> pattern) on all block reclamation, not only on block reclamation
> as a result of unlink.
>
> He is not asking for no-unlink to make the files non-shrinkable.

That's right. In case I was unclear: sometimes I want to get rid of any
traces of the file's contents on the disk. Sometimes I'd like to be able
to set this as a default policy. Writing a wrapper around unlink() call is
not my idea of elegant solution :-)

So, methinks a filesystem flag for this would be good...

Sincerely yours,

---
Andrzej Bialecki                  FreeBSD: Turning PCs Into Workstations
<abial@warman.org.pl>             http://www.freebsd.org
Research and Academic Network in Poland