Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:43:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Oliver Crow <ocrow@simplexity.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump/Restore to disk and tape

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:44:29PM -0800 I heard the voice of
> Oliver Crow, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Of course this doesn't work because pax just creates the file
> > 'dump.0.2002-10-10'.
> >
> > Is there some way to move a dump file to a set of tapes, without having to
> > do the dump from the original filesystem?
>
> Have you tried symlinking dump.0.2002-10-10 to /dev/stdout, and then
> doing the | restore?  Kinda a twisted way of doing it, but it may work.

I tried that, but pax deletes the symlink and replaces it with the dump
file.  I also tried using the pax filename substitution facility, in the
hope that that would persuade it to open the stdout device:

% pax -r -f /dev/sa0 -s :.*:/dev/stdout:

Don't try this at home!  It deleted the /dev/stdout device entry.

I think though I *have* found a solution.

archive:
% gtar cM dump.*.gz

restore:
% gtar xMO dump.0.2002-10-10.gz | zcat | restore -if -

It's not ideal because it depends on a package that's not part of the
standard FreeBSD install.  It has to be gtar, to avoid the 2GB file size
limitation of tar. I also think it won't recover if part of a tape is
damaged, because it is storing compressed dump files.  The ideal solution
would be if dump had a feature to split a single existing dump file across
multiple volumes.  That way 'restore' would recover from read errors on
the tape, and only the affected files would be lost, instead of the
remainder of the archive.

Oliver