Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:24:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@UPMC.EDU>, fbsd_chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lcd monitor manufacturer recommendation request

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> spellberg_robert <emailrob@emailrob.com> writes:
>> Person, Roderick <personrp@UPMC.EDU> writes:
>>> You could get an LCD monitor that only has the 15 pin connection,
>>> then you can choose refresh rate and play with modelines. At least
>>> on the Viewsonic LCD I have which is 5 years old I had to do that to
>>> get it working. That is if you really want to keep doing such
>>> things.
>> it isn't that i --want-- to keep doing this; it is that i --can-- do
>> so, if i desire.
>
> A CRT has an electrom beam that sweeps across the screen left to right
> and top to bottom, and the horizontal and vertical sync frequencies
> control how fast the beam moves.  An LCD panel does not have an electron
> beam; it has discrete, individually adressable pixels.  If you insist on
> hooking it up to an analog port, it will have to convert the analog
> signal to a digital signal in order to display it, and you will get
> sampling artifacts, aliasing etc.  I don't care how good you are at
> writing modelines; you will never come up with one that looks better
> than what you will get with a digital connection.

For any technical use, an LCD should be used at native resolution.  But
I remember 800x600 on a 1024x768 LCD to be surprisingly good (the users
insisted).  Kind of a painted effect.  Not a problem for those
particular users, but they were not technical and PEBKAC applies.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is LCD panel types.  For many uses, TN is
fine.  For photography and other graphics, IPS shows a lot of detail
that TN can't, and PVA is somewhere in the middle:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Lots of information here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226