Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:23:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        "Herbert Chang" <zhang_huabin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which mail server is the best? qmail, postfix or exim?

Herbert Chang writes:
;->I want to install a mail server on FreeBSD. There are many ports of mail
;->server on http://www.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html. I wonder which is the
;->best:  qmail, postfix, exim or other?

It depends on what you want it to do, and what your preferences are -
and religion, of course.

I use qmail, but I don't run a major mail hub. I find it easy to
configure, and think the architecture (lots of processes talking on
pipes) plays to Unix's strong suit. I have also been bitten by the
technical problems with the Unix mailbox format enough to like the
idea of using one that doesn't have those problems.

The major drawback is that it is a thing unto itself. Converting an
existing sendmail site with lots of lists & the like is a PITA. It
also uses it's own mailbox format that many mailreaders can't deal
with. Getting the qmail pop server up and running solves a lot of the
latter, though.

	<mike