Date:      Fri, 7 May 2004 15:19:26 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Muthu_T@Dell.com
Subject:   Re: 20040502 snapshot + Dell PE3250

On Thursday 06 May 2004 12:34 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:12:24AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > >
> > > The root file system is too small. Make it larger. You also need to
> > > specify a mount point for the EFI partition so that the kernel gets
> > > installed there. You cannot boot otherwise.
> >
> > No.  sysinstall only mounts /, it doesn't mount the other partitions.
> > The buggy code is in install.c in sysinstall where it does the newfs and
> > mount bit since it doesn't check for top-level partitions being
> > filesystems and swap, etc.  Also, there is _another_ bug that you can't
> > create a filesystem for the remaining space.  sysinstall complains that
> > the partition is too big. *sigh*  I'm going to try to work on at least
> > the first bug today.
>
> Thanks.

Ok, the sysinstall bugs are fixed and committed after I did a test install.
Also, the kernel fixes since 5.2.1 allowed this box (HP rx2600) to properly
probe all the PCI busses (it got the bus numbers wrong before) and see the
ATA controller (and thus acd0) as well as fxp0, which is nice.  However, the
loader doesn't tell the kernel what filesystem to mount as root, so I always
have to manually enter in 'ufs:/dev/da0p2' at the mountroot prompt.  Does the
mountroot tunable have to be specified in loader.conf for all ia64 machines
or does /etc/fstab need to be copied to /efi/etc/fstab or something?