Date:      Sun, 05 May 1996 07:37:00 -0400
From:      He Who Urges Ampersands <arensb@cfar.UMD.EDU>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail

On Sat, 04 May 1996 16:53:49 -0000, tbalfe@tioga.com wrote:
> I have recently compiled sendmail from cert.org. What I want to know,
> does sendmail have to be mode 4555 to function correctly, or will be
> function correctly as mode 555? Or even 4111?

	Sendmail runs as <user> to deliver <user>'s mail. In
particular, if .forward runs any programs, you want them to run as
that user. Otherwise you're opening up a security hole.
	So sendmail has to be able to set its euid, which means it has
to run as root. If you run sendmail from inetd, or from
/etc/rc.whatever, it'll run as root and your machine will be able to
receive mail.
	If you make it setuid root, then J. Random Program can run
sendmail to send mail to someone. If you make sendmail mode 555, then
that will break. You can either try to fix all of the programs that
break, or you can try to come up with a workaround (e.g., make
/usr/lib/sendmail a program that simply talks to the local host's SMTP
port; or make /etc/sendmail.cf use nullclient to forward mail to the
local host, port 25, where it gets picked up by the version of
sendmail that's running as root).

	As usual, if I'm wrong, I'm sure that a chorus of voices will
rise up to correct me.

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy         Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu                     University of Maryland