Date:      Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:32:57 -0400
From:      "Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" <mraught@acm.org>
To:        Dominic Caffey <domcaf@gmail.com>
Cc:        wpaul@freebsd.org, Newbies FreeBSD <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems building wireless ndis kernel module for D-Link DWL-650 V.P1 under FreeBSD v 5.4... for Intel...IBM ThinkPad 380z...help?...

Dominic Caffey wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD-Mobile & Newbies & Bill Paul,
>
>       I'm having problems bulding a wireless ndis kernel module and
> was hoping I might get some help with where I'm going wrong. Please be
> aware that I did check the list archives at
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/mmsearch/freebsd-mobile before
> posting but got no hits. I also tried google'ing the error message as
> well with no hits so please no RTFM replies because I've already
> RTFM'd at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
> section 25.3.3.6.3 802.11a & 802.11g Clients.  Here's the pertinet
> information:
>
> uname -a output:
> FreeBSD 380Z.none2.org 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May  8
> 10:21:06 UTC 2005
> root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> pwd output:
> /usr/src/sys/modules/if_ndis
>
> ls -l output:
> total 1342
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     280 Mar 30 23:27 Makefile
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   14391 Jun 29 17:35 NETPRISM.inf
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  652288 Jun 29 17:35 PRISMNDS.sys
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  644608 Jun 29 17:35 PRISMUSB.sys
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      72 Jun 29 17:54 ndis_driver_data.h
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    8276 Jun 29 17:35 prismnic.cat
>
> ndiscvt output:
> ndiscvt -i NETPRISM.inf -s PRISMNDS.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h
> ndiscvt: line 376: : syntax error.
>
> I obtained the Win-XP drivers for the wireless NIC, D-Link DWL-650
> V.P1, from http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2D650%5FrevP
>
> I'm trying to do this on an IBM ThinkPad 380z with 64Mb ram with a 8Gb
> hard drive.
>
> The wireless NIC works fine under MS-Win2k.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dom

Dom,
I had a similar error. I don't remember the exact error, but it was a
syntax error and was due to the fact that I was using the wrong inf
file. The correct one was pure ascii while the wrong one had
miscellaneous crap in it. This may not be your problem, but it took me a
while searching, until I gave up and went back to it and discovered that
there were 2 inf files. Tried it with the other inf and all went well. I
don't know if this is two different version of the same inf, or if it is
an inf for a different system... Either way, you may want to check it
out. I think my error was early in the file like line 6 or 8 though, so
this may not help at all.

-mark