Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 18:50:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        jroberts@ashland.edu (Jeff Roberts)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off Topic:  X desktop manager for FBSD?u

> However, I can't
> seem to do some of the things I used to be able to do in SCO (Motif?),
> such as put objects on the desktop, etc.

SCO includes the IXI X.desktop with their Open DeathTrap product, maybe
you're thinking of that.

> I also haven't found where to
> set  fvwm  as my default window manager (twm is what always comes up), or
> why  xvidtune  adjustments are never saved (do I have to put them in a
> file manually?).  With fvwm and tkdesk, I can get a (barely) acceptable
> desktop.  Is there another widget or tool that I need to be able to make
> folders/icons on the desktop?  What do *you* do?

Personally, I put my computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor on the
desktop, and use ctwm on my computer.  Applications are started from a
popup menu just the way any thinking computer user (i.e. UNIX guru)
would expect them to be.  Most applications are 'launched' by typing
their name in an xterm.  ;^)

> If you don't think other list members would benefit, please just reply to
> me personally.

I've never bought into this idiotic 'desktop metaphor' crap because
my work isn't done on a desktop, its done on a computer.  In emacs.
The way Real Programmers(tm) do it.

My major interest outside of computing is sailing, so perhaps I should
grab fvwm and figure out how to configure it for a 'cockpit metaphor:'
grind this winch to haul in the e-mail, push the tiller back and forth
to switch work spaces, etc.  ;^)