Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:56:51 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Spidey Knepscheld <spidey@act.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attix Server

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:35:44AM +0200, Spidey Knepscheld wrote:

> I would like to know if there is an app or someway of running a complete
> off-site backup system with FreeBSD and not having to use Attix for they
> want to have the backup faciclity with them and I would like to oppose
> the Attix idea for my customers.

Sure, it's fairly easy to set up a system that backs up to a remote
server even using just the stuff that comes with FreeBSD.  Virtually
any network backup system out of ports (bacula, amanda) can be coerced
into using a backup server at a separate location.

You'll need plenty of bandwidth for the backup server, plus a disk
array or tape library large enough to service all of your customers.

The problems start when you consider things like security -- how do
you guarrantee that /only/ one specific customer can access their
data, especially in a disaster recovery situation where they may be
operating out of temporary accomodation and not have access to all
their old records?  That includes preventing the data being snooped on
in transit.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20