Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:35:00 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: swapon some regular file

On Monday 07 October 2002 05:25 pm, Peter Wemm wrote:
= Mikhail Teterin wrote:
= > Currently, swapon(2) will only succeed if the argument vn_isdisk(9),
= > or if it is an NFS-accessed file.
= >
= > Users wishing to swap onto a local regular file have to go through
= > the vnconfig/mdconfig gimnastics. Is that intentional?

= We can get away with it for swapping to a file over NFS because the
= remote server does the translation, not us.

I see.

= In reality, what is required is some careful cut/paste of code from
= vnode_pager to swap_pager to add the missing bits, and some care to
= deal with the complications.

= vnconfig/mdconfig work because that basically adds the logical ->
= physical translation step. I'd just as soon not have to mess with this
= though.

I guess, the question is, will doing this directly to a file be faster?
Otherwise, vnconfig/mdconfig is Ok, if not too good-looking... For
users' convenience, the creation of the md or vn devices can be put into
swapon(8)...

	-mi