Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:08:49 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACER CD910E/JAS IDE CDrom...

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > Running 3.0-current, I just got loaned the above CD player to use, but,
> > after recompiling my kernel with ATAPI and wcd0 support, the system
> > doesn't detect it on boot up...
>
> I need ALOT more info before I can help you out:
>
> A copy of the probe messages (dmesg output)
> Kernel config file
> What IDE device do you have (make, model, master/slave etc)
>
> Then I can give you an answer, the above is simply not enough info...

	Actually, not really the answer, but I did get it to work.  I
ended up downloading the boot.flp from the latest snapshot, then when that
worked, building a GENERIC kernel...and when that worked, copied in
anything that appeared pertinent...and now it works.

	I had:

#controller     wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x00ffa004
vector wdintr
#disk           wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1
#options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
#options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
#device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM

	And now have:

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

#controller     wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
#disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM

	I haven't investigated further, yet, about whether the problem is
the missing CMD640 or the flags setting on wdc0...before I go through
that, does anyone know if either should affect it?  If its something
known, no reason to go and test it...:)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org