Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:51:00 -0500
From:      Luc Morin <luc_m@videotron.ca>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cleaning up after upgrade

Spidey wrote:

> I don't know about a list, clearly.. But I know that there is a perl
> script that compares the two directories...
>
> In fact, you should take a look at:
>
> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
>
> It looks like this:
>
> Backup the existing /etc:
> # cp -Rp /etc /etc.old
> // Recreate a dummy set of dirs:
> # mkdir /var/tmp/root
> # cd /usr/src/etc
> # make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/root distrib-dirs distribution
> // Delete unecessary directories:
> # cd /var/tmp/root
> # find -d . -type d | /usr/bin/perl -lne \
>   'opendir(D,$_);@f=readdir(D);rmdir if $#f == 1;closedir(D);'
>
> // Then use the perl script available at:
> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/dircmp.pl (I
> think)... if not it's on the Clayton's page...
> # perl dircmp.pl
> // then you have a nice output like:
>    DIFFER: /etc/defaults
>    DIFFER: /etc/periodic
> [...]
> IGNORING: group
> IGNORING: hosts
> [..]
> OBSOLETE?: /etc/rc.conf
> OBSOLETE?: /etc/fstab
> [...]
> Suggestions:
> diff -c /etc/defaults /var/tmp/root/etc/defaults
> diff -c /etc/periodic /var/tmp/root/etc/periodic
> [...]
> diff -c /etc/pccard.conf.sample /var/tmp/root/etc/pccard.conf.sample
> cp /var/tmp/root/etc/rc.isdn /etc
> [...]
> diff -c /etc/pwd.db /var/tmp/root/etc/pwd.db
> rm /etc/rc.conf
> [...]
>
> Nice, uh?
>
> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Luc Morin wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentionned that I already have
used mergemaster to update my /etc, /dev and /root directories
succesfully. All I really want to make sure of is that there are no
obsolte files there. The dircmp.pl script is a good start since it will
spot if a file is in /etc but not in the newer source, but I don't think
I can rely on it for an authoritative answer.

I guess I could always take a look at a freshly installed 3.1 system to
spot differences.

Thanks again.

--
Luc Morin    <luc_m@videotron.ca>