Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:31:15 -1000
From:      NetOpsCenter <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Christer Hermansson <mail@chdevelopment.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Booting to Sysinstall

Christer Hermansson wrote:

> Jerahmy Pocott wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Okay so here is the situation:
>> Server has dead fd and cd drives, or maybe none at all. You want to
>> install FreeBSD
>> on it.
>>
>> The idea I had was to create a small partition, copy the contents of
>> a cd into, set it
>> to boot off that partition, reboot and it would boot up into sysinstall.
>>
>> Would this be possible? Or is it a dumb idea?
>

> Boot from usb-memory
> http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2
>

> or use pxe
> http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html
>

> However I would choose to connect a CD-player
> or
> move the harddisk to some other machine that have a CD and do the
> install and then move the harddisk back.

I use the attach a CD Rom method on many servers I have built and it
works fine  unless the HD is too big for the bios on the motherboard.
Sometimes you can load FreeBSD 7 on an HD on another box successfully,
but if the bios on the box it ends up on will not let it run if the HD
is too big.

There are several options.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc@hdk5.net +
  + http://internetohana.org   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +