Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:36:27 -0600
From:      Eric Zimmerman <heli@mikestammer.com>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Server build config, what would you do?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a solid motherboard for building a BSD server
around? I would like at least a Core2Duo CPU, but would consider Xeon
(single or dual CPU boards are fine).

The server will be for file storage and general services like email,
apache, etc.  Not a ton of volume for either

I plan to use a 3-Ware or Areca controller (4 port). Does one of those
work better than the other? I have had pretty good luck with some 3-Ware
cards so far with FreeBSD, but have heard good things about the Areca
cards too.

Heck, while we are at it, can anyone recommend some decent internal SATA
enclosures with 5 or so slots?

Thank you for your time,

Eric