Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 15:59:05 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "chad@dcfinc.com" <chad@dcfinc.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Requisite steps for tracking -stable

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:03:57 -0700 (MST), Chad R. Larson wrote:

>> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
>>   > This seems like an escalation of responsibility for the user.
>>   > I've read (and agree) that tracking -stable without subscribing to the
>>   > stable mailing list is asking for whatever you get.  I'd never heard a
>>   > requirement for reading the CVS logs before.
>>   If it's not a documented requirement, I agree that it should be.
>>   Running -current or -stable for the uninitiated is just too dangerous
>>   and I definitely forsee a day when cvsup won't even touch your source
>>   tree until it's verified that you performed all the requisite steps.
>>
>> So, to make things as clear as possible, what are all the requisite
>> steps?  I, too, was under the impression subscribing to freebsd-stable
>> would be enough to keep track of vital information regarding the
>> -stable tree.  If there is something else that must be done, this
>> should be detailed somewhere obvious, like the Handbook.
>
>I'd offer another (perhaps obvious) suggestion.  The requirements to
>track -current might include reading the CVS logs while tracking -stable
>probably shouldn't.
>
>Keep in mind that the differences in -stable users and -current users.
>The current guys are happy to be bleeding edge, want the
>latest-n-greatest and/or are actively working on code (and reading
>-hackers, we'd hope).
>
>The -stable guys aren't necessarily able to spend a lot of time keeping
>up.  They're running production on their boxes, not entertaining
>themselves with O/S development.  That's =why= they're running -stable.

What he said !!  (I'm seconding the motion).  I'd like to see daily or
weekly summaries from the logs posted to -stable.  I wan't to build
-stable as infrequently as I can, but I don't have the time to wade
thru cvs-logs and read/answer -questions. I'd hate to stop answering
-questions, just to have the time to keep myself -stable...