Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 1996 18:55:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        72110.765@compuserve.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1

According to Doug White:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 72110.765@compuserve.com wrote:
>

> > I am new with FreeBSD and want to use it for a Web server. I just
> > ordered the FreeBSD 2.1 cdrom. Does it come with the necessary
> > tools to be a web server (ie. tcp_wrapper, syslog, popper, elm, etc)?
>
> Yes, the packages and ports are on the CD.
>
> > I subscribed to the freebsd-isp mailing list. What other info is available
> > about using FreeBSD as a web server? (ie. support forums, elm, etc.)
>
> AFAIK none specifically for FreeBSD.  Questions is a good start.

		Here are some comments that are at least slightly
		tangential to this subject.

		I've looked in the /cdrom/ports directory for
		things that I've got (and have had) on my old
		SVR4 box.  elm, cnews, and scores of others
		things.

		To date, virtually nothing has been plug and
		play.  Nothing (except for xemacs) has auto-configured
		and ``just worked.''  I was a bit surprised that
		software on the FreeBSD CD is not BSD-specific.  At
		least mostly.

		I've been porting for more years than I care to
		admit, and I'll finish up with the same environment
		as is on my old 386.... but am I doing something
		stupid?  Is there some pre-config magic for FreeBSD
		hidden away somewhere??  Better to ask this now
		than wait until I've re-re-re-invented the wheel!

		gary kline

		PS: Last night, I finally got the nameserver stuff
		to work (Thanks, Chuck!), and after retrieving elm2.4.tar.Z,
		the build quit with a checksum error....   So, back
		to start-from-scratch mode.

		If I'm screwing up, would somebody please shine some
		light!?