Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:29:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Pentland <gp397@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPX bridge and IP nat...

Hi guys

I am rebuilding my firewall / nat router to share my
internet connection accross my LAN.

I have 3 network cards, one (nl0) connects to the
internet and is secured and nated.  the other two (de0
and de1) I run bridged so I can simplify the process
of playing some games without the need to educate my
housemates about routers etc. and broadcasting will
work effectivly. (we play some old games :-)

I have this working but for some reason IPX packets
don't get bridged. I need to use IPX to support some
really old games.  Has anyone tried this sort of
setup, I presume the IPFIREWALL code is dropping the
IPX packets as they don't match any rules...  If I set
the firewall to default allow (something I don't
really want to do) then set something like,

deny ip from all to all

will this then make the machine secure enough (it is
on a DSL connection) but allow IPX through the bridge?

Also does anyone have experience running a default
allow firewall and have any suggestions how to secure
it?

Many thanks,

Gary