Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:57:21 -0400
From:      Louis Mamakos <louie@transsys.com>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rsync corrupted MAC

On Oct 10, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> On 10/10/2011 10:47 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:06:26 pm Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>> Any ideas on which side or what might be broke here?
>>>=20
>>> ler/MAIL-ARCHIVE/2008/12/INBOX
>>> Corrupted MAC on input.
>>> Disconnecting: Packet corrupt
>>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (33845045 bytes received so =
far)
>> [receiver]
>>> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at =
io.c(605)
>> [receiver=3D3.0.9]
>>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1450 bytes received so far)
>> [generator]
>>> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(605) =
[generator=3D3.0.9]
>> I've had somewhat similar issues (ssh getting corruption in its data =
stream)
>> when a NIC in my netbook was corrupting packet data when it ran at 1G =
(it
>> worked fine at 10/100).  Pyun eventually fixed the issue by applying =
enough
>> workarounds (it was likely a hardware bug in the NIC's chipset).  =
However, it
>> wasn't easy to debug unfortunately. :(
>>=20
> Any ideas on where to start?
>=20
> from the 8.2 box (tbh.lerctr.org in the script):
>=20
> 8.2->PIX->Provider->Internet->Motorola SBG6580 (Time-Warner)->Trendnet =
TEG-160WS Gig switch->9.0 box (borg.lerctr.org).
>=20
> So, where do I start?

I'd turn off IP / TCP / UDP checksum offloading on your NIC if it =
supports it, and see if you are getting network layer checksum errors.  =
If the IP checksum is wrong, then it happened on the last hops between =
the NIC and memory or across the previous network hop.